Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Ghetto of Agoura

Friday morning - EARLY morning, we were woken up by deep yelling of profanity. I believe it was about 3am when it all began. There was a lot of banging and heavy walking and as I said YELLING. It was so frightening as it was angry and mean. Jackson was not pleased by this display so he then woke up and began crying. We gave him his dummy, turned on his music and we tried to go back to bed. As the yelling continued, so did Jackson's discomfort. Around 3:45am, we brought him to our bed to sleep with us. It took him a while to settle down, considering the yelling didn't stop, but he did fall back asleep and slept the rest of the night, peacefully in daddy's arms.

As for me and Andrew, well we didn't sleep too well. Eventually the guy, our neighbor, left in his truck. I think I got an hour of sleep in there. But then around 5am, it was out of control all over again. Then when I got out of the shower at about 6:20am, it was worse!!!! He was so degrading towards to woman he lives with, the mother of his children, maybe his wife???? He was saying that her f'in IQ is so low and she's this and that and so on and so forth. He was, from what I gathered, hitting the walls and pounding things all around their condo. I was surprised his rage could hold up for so long.

This was the first time we have experienced anything like that here. In fact there was a night we left our garage door open and anyone could have come in the house, but it was fine. We have always felt comfortable but now I am a little uneasy.

I was scared to call the cops because I feared his retaliation. But as I was leaving for work, there were two cops here. Someone was brave - and I know I should have done it earlier, and I think if Jackson wasn't here, I would have. I know I would have because I have done it before.... well it was Pepperdine security, but close enough :)

So the ghetto - I have always said we live in the ghetto of Simi, but when I was telling this story to my students, they assumed I lived in "The Ghetto of Agoura" - is there one????

3 comments:

Snow Crew said...

Ahh- those neighbors are not qualified to live by you! At least you know that you have other neighbors that have your standards and won't put up with that garbage. Keep that in mind Andrew the next time you want to throw a fit!
p.s. I have been to your house- you are not in the ghetto (or barrio for you Rach)- nice try!

bonny with a Y said...

bummer for you guys - we lived in a neighborhood in ventura with a lot of anger - we became rather friendly with the police.

don't be afraid to call - tell them you want to be anonymous - and your neighbors won't know - you aren't their only neighbor - and you don't want those kids, or that woman, to be exposed to that kind of violence.

and if you keep calling, the guy will know he can't get away with that bahavior.

i'll step off my soapbox now.

RachelAA said...

There are two reasons I was really afraid, one being that they can come out of their window, onto our roof and get in Jackson's room. The other thing is we are the only ones that share walls with them.
BUT, looking back I wish I called! Next time I will for sure - if there is a next time. We haven't seen him nor have we heard anyone next door.
Kinda creepy!