Monday, August 11, 2014

Surprised Myself

Today could have been a very different day.  I wouldn't be sitting here in my bathing suit top and boxer shorts preparing to head to the pool.  I'd be sitting in a meeting, dressed in professional clothing, at Saugus High School.  Last week, or maybe the week before, James Duncan contacted me repeatedly to let me know of two English positions posted on EdJoin.  One was a 60% position which is exactly what I'd like.  Immediately I set out to get an interview arranged and was actually rather excited at the possibilities this job would open.  Insurance!  Paycheck!  Creativity!  Freedom!  Options!  Nervous, incredibly nervous, I headed to my interview the very next day.  Something felt off.  Whether it be my nerves or insecurities I wasn't quite sure.  Interview went well and I realized I liked the culture at this school.  Believe me, you don't always like the culture of every school.  They all vary so much.  But then I was blindsided when I was asked to grade two essays.  Why I didn't expect this I do not know, but I didn't.  I was rusty, distracted and nervous.  The fact is, at that point I had been told the position would most likely be full-time.  I honestly explained that this would be something I'd really have to think about and I wasn't certain I'd accept it.  So when I sat down to grade these essays, I was tempted to not even bother and simply leave.  But hey, districts are small and rumors fly - so in efforts to not tarnish my future career, I got to it.

I wasn't supposed to hear back from them until the following week.  But when I received a 661 phone call two days after the interview, I knew it was them.  First of all, it was the Principal!  Again, I knew I liked their school culture.  When he started going into his "let down" you could sense just how badly he felt for having to call me and tell me they had someone else in mind.  They knew this person and her work and knew she would fit.  I had had a feeling they already had someone in mind and this confirmed it.  Fact is, I was smiling ear to ear when he told me they would not be hiring me at this time.  Whew - I was not ready!  He said he'd recommend me for other positions whether they be at his school or in the district.  So, I figured, a seed was planted.  Maybe in three years it'll take root - that's my plan anyway.

Grateful I'm not in a meeting today, tomorrow and the next, I'll take this time to reflect upon what we have done.  These past couple of weeks have tested my patience, that's for sure, but when we're out and about I'm reminded that they are growing up and it's so much fun!  I love all we are able to do and enjoy together - I'm grateful for these little pills of mine.

Ventura County Fair
The beautiful weather goes without saying!!!  The kids did look at me like I was crazy when I had them get dressed in jeans and I packed their sweatshirts but they got it once we arrived.  Ahhh, love me some sweatshirt weather.

Ryan has really stepped up this Summer.  He's helpful, organized, older - it's so exciting.  Once parked Ryan wanted to pull the stroller to the fair.  Back in the day he would have begged to be the one sitting inside!

 Fran was already there once we arrived so we messed around taking pictures of the kids while we waited for the others.
 I love how Talia and Ryan are drawn towards one another.  Fact is, all the kids are drawn towards one another.  They're all so close it's awesome.





 Kenna - the phone hacker!
 The view from our concert seats.  Can you see the ocean!?!  Heaven on earth, I tell ya.
 That evening my parents met up with us just in time for the Little Big Town concert.  
 Gotta love Fair food: potatoes, popcorn, fried twinkies, fried oreos, sandwiches, all-American crap for a butt load of money.

 Don't mind if I do.


 Once the kids became restless we headed out of the concert.  With grandparents in tow, we were able to hit up some games but everyone else headed home.  No joke, this place is insanely expensive!  But check out how old they're all getting - it's after 9pm and they were still able to enjoy themselves.  Granted, by the time 9:30pm rolled around, Ryan had passed out and the others were becoming whinny!

 And here it is, the picture we will always remember as what COULD HAVE BEEN OUR LAST FAMILY PICTURE!  As my dad puts it, he imagines this picture as the one the news would flash with the headline below: Missing three-year old at the Ventura Fair.
 We were making our way to the front entrance restrooms for one last pit stop before heading home.  Ryan was asleep in the wagon and the others were following us.  Grandma shopping took hold of Andi and took her into the bathroom.  I pulled Ryan in the wagon to make my way over to a bench to wait for everyone.  In time Andrew came over to me to see if I needed to use the restroom.  I saw Grandpa grandpa in the distance sitting against a building eating.  To be honest, I don't know who realized first but the question came out in a panic, "Who has Cole?".  Immediately I ran into the bathroom to double check my mom didn't have him.  Then we all split - I went back where I last saw him then straight to the security.  Yup, my first time reporting a missing child.  "My three year old is missing!"  I described where I last saw him, what he was wearing, etc.  During this time I'm not even sure what the others were doing but I remember looking back to where I had left the wagon and I saw Cole snuggling up to grandpa's shoulder.  He was found!  My dad found two women walking from the direction we had not ventured - apparently when we all stopped walking, he kept going.  There he was, hand in hand with two young girls and his head was hanging low.  Because of this demeanor, at first glance my dad didn't even recognize him.  It look nothing like him.  The older woman with them said that he was walking along and all of a sudden freaked out.  So grateful for good people - people that notice the panic in a child and take appropriate action.  

It wasn't but five minutes that we didn't have the slightest clue where Cole had gone in the pitch dark evening at the fair, but it's five minutes we'll never forget.  So grateful the evening ended the way it did - all four passed out in the car!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

My heart just stopped!! Scary but glad thing were good!-- yikes!! Oh and the rest of your post was good too! :)

fran said...

Cole is getting a monkey backpack for christmas lol. I think you are amazing my friend and I know when the right time comes for you to go back to work it will come and we will all be here to celebrate oxox