Friday, November 21, 2008

One Year Ago
























































We lost someone so very important to us. Wes - brother, friend, uncle, godparent (if you will), husband, son - suddenly passed away around this time one year ago. I can still feel those emotions so very strongly, I can still hear so many of our conversations from that day, I can still smell the scents of that day - it's as though it were yesterday.

All week I have been thinking about today and I have been conflicted. When you remember a certain date, it's usually something to celebrate. I have tried to see this day as just that - we miss him so very much, we can't grasp the fact that someone such as he was taken away from us and yet, I KNOW this is a day in which to celebrate. For Wes, this is a glorious anniversary. For Wes, this is a reminder of the day he got to go home. We all work for it and we all anticipate the day we will be relieved of the struggles of this earthly life and he got it - so why not celebrate?

Our close family friend said it well when she sent out a text this morning: "Happy Wesley Day! I love you all and am thinking of you all today. Remember to celebrate the time we had with him..." - Mandi

So these pictures and my thoughts are here to celebrate Wes - someone loved by so many, someone missed by so many, but someone that lives on in a way none of us can imagine!

8 comments:

Julia Everts said...

You just made me cry. Happy Wes day! Can't believe it's already been a year...seems like yesterday. I only met him once but i feel like i knew him for a long time! Hope you have a great day!

RachelAA said...

THank you - he sure had a way of leaving a lasting impression :)

Shay said...

JERK!!! I just got done crying. No, but really..THANK YOU for posting this. It helps a lot and it reminds me to be happy and celebrate what an amazing person he is. I love you Rach. The pics are perfect!

Laurie Nguyen said...

The first anniversary of a loved one's death is the hardest, at least it was for me. My younger brother, Jon, died 10 years ago this November 28th in a car accident. It does get easier. I promise.

d said...

I'm with Shay, thanks a lot for making me cry, but really thanks for letting us honor Wes with you through this tribute. I was just thinking about him the other day because my friend's face was sweating after eating some spicy food, it reminded me of Wes with Thai food in Malibu. We love you Wes.

RachelAA said...

Thanks for the support Laurie, it always helps to here from people that have been there.

Dayna you so made me laugh - did you notice some of the shiny faces in the pictures where he's eating sushi?? THanks for sharing that D, I love it!!!

Paige said...

What a special post for a special person! These pictures carry so much emotion and great memories. Thanks for posting this. I too laughed very hard at the comment about sweating with eating spicy food. What a Wes trademark!

Heather said...

What an insightful perspective. I certainly can't understand or explain why some thing happen... but I do know that I am greatful to have meet you and your amazing family. Know that you guys are in my thoughts!