Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy 79th, Juana - La Golondrina at Olvera Street

Things have been very busy around here and I can't even recall with what.  Life, I suppose.  I wanted to reorganize the pantry, thanks pinterest, and the kids wanted to make a gift for ita, thanks birthday season.  The kids have wanted to play in the front yard, thanks California, and friends have invited us to the park, thanks Cali... again!  Well, that was until Ryan got sand in his eye and begged to go home... I guess it was a valid request considering he fell asleep immediately after leaving Oak Springs Park.  Crazy.
 But back to Juana.  We were excited to have an outing planned out of Canyon Country mid week.  I knew there was something grandma loved about a certain restaurant on Olvera St. as we have taken her there for her birthday before.  But this time around I found out it was because, "Sam & I actually worked there when we were dating. I was 16 and he was 17. Boy how time flies when you are having fun," in Chicago" Hee,hee. :-)".
We arrived early and were very grateful to our family for making the journey to LA considering it was much closer than Corona is to us.  The kids had fun walking around and then jumping around in the restaurant.  *I assure you they were in no one's way and in no way were they out of line.  My pet peeve!
 As soon as the birthday girl arrived, the kids wanted to give her the gifts they made.  I love that they love the gift of giving!
 And really, how can you not love the gift of giving.... check out her face as she opens the Nook, her gift from us all.  Notice how the Flan came during the opening of this gift and she can barely take her attention off the Nook.  It's priceless, really.
This woman is so very loved and is truly an inspiration to us all.  When I need a logical, non-biased opinion, I know I need to call her up.  She is always there to listen and offer advice but never in a judgmental or condescending way.  I am grateful for all she has taught me.
Now in the honor of our birthday season:
I am... 79.
My best friend is, and this sounds corny, but... Sam.
My favorite thing to do is... read.
My favorite color is... black.
My favorite food is... enchilladas, even though I don't eat them all the time.
With my family I like to... travel or go to restaurants.
My favorite toy is... the Nook.
When I grow up I want to be... an engineer.
What makes me happy is... Everything.  Flowers, birds, stars, the moon, nature.
What makes me sad is... when I get sick.
My favorite TV show is... at this time, The Mentalist.
My favorite book is... what I am reading right now.  I never re-read a book so it's whatever I am currently reading. (I now have my own answer for this question!)
I love to learn about... science and history.
My favorite thing about my birthday was... family and food and the attention.
I love to go to... museums.  Although I don't go enough.
My teacher is... Mike. O.
My favorite treat is... although I don't eat it anymore, cherry pie.
Before I go to bed I think about... getting a good night sleep.  Being safe and not staying awake.
A famous person I would like to meet would be... George Clooney.  I'm serious!
My favorite birthday gifts were.... from my children (Nook and eye brows).

1 comment:

d said...

I love the picture of you and Coley. SO pretty