Friday, June 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Andrew - BOTH of you


Andrew's birthday came and went in a blink of an eye. It was the most nontraditional birthday day we have ever done. Seriously, we didn't even have a cake.

Andrew rose bright and early Saturday morning to join my dad for the surprise golf game - Andrew hasn't gone since I don't know when, so he was delighted to get up early and head out. But I guess even if it hadn't been a long time, he still would have been delighted.

So for the kids and I, the morning of dad's birthday began just like any other day. We did breakfast and showers and what not, and then headed out to Andrew's birthday party. No, not our Andrew, Jackson's Andrew. Yes, it was off to Simi on a gorgeous day. Because we arrived a little too early, I took the kids to the park first. They ran around and ejoyed the morning, but were easily convinced to get the car to go to Andrew's birthday party. The plan was I would take the kids to the 12pm party, and when Andrew was finished golfing, he would head over and pick up the babies. Andi and Ryan loved the mini chairs and table. I adore Andi's chillin' pose! When Andrew and my dad arrived shortly before 1pm, I didn't think they would get the babies to leave; boy was I wrong. When Ryan heard he had the chance to go home for a nap, he was all for it. So again, it wasn't all about Andrew, it was like a normal day taking care of business.

But, we had fun, Jackson and I. We hung out and enjoyed the birthday party and good friends.

Jackson and Andrew were the oldest - which is SO rare for me to have one of the oldest kids at anything. So it was fun watching them be the big, tough guys trying to break open the pinata.


Jackson and I got home at about 3:15, just in time for Andrew to leave for his softball tournament. Again, not a birthday activity, but I think he enjoyed it! Ok, I KNOW he enjoyed it. He took Jackson with him and then I took the babies to visit Becky at the hospital. On my way, Jackson called me sobbing, wanting me to come pick him up. He was SO tired. This boy still needs his naps!! I told him I was coming to get him, I just left out the part about it being about an hour from then.

Laurel and I met at the hospital because we were so excited to meet Isabelle. And Cory was such a stud to wait in the parking lot with their kids while we hung out and chatted. Becky is doing AMAZING, but you can tell that just by looking at her. Gorgeous family! And seriously, I so envy all the hair Isabelle has!! You can't see it here, but seriously!

We said our good-byes and then I headed over to the softball game because they won their first and were now going to have to play a second. Yeah for Andrew, bummer for us and a birthday dinner. Or any celebration for that matter. But as Ben pointed out, this may have been exactly the kind of birthday he wanted. When we got to the field, Jackson was happy to see us. The goody bag from Andrew's birthday SO saved us. It was gone by the end of the second game - that they lost, whew!

By the time we got home and fed the kids, the evening was over. It was past bedtime and there was no chance of a celebration. I was going to get a Cold Stone's Ice Cream cake, but I knew Andrew would think it was lame of me to buy a $25 cake. So instead, I cleaned up and got things under control here, while Andrew went out and picked us up some Baja Fresh and Cold Stone's. For his birthday, he got a free one. We ate dinner at 9pm that night - CRAZY! But he did tell me, "Even with all the fun things I did tonight, my favorite part was just hanging out watching tv with you!". Now that's a good husband.

Happy 32nd Birthday Andrew - We love you!

No comments: