Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Room to Stretch

It's bad enough that my 20 month old won't sleep through the night, but then throw in the four and a half year old hogging my bed and MAN - WE ARE TIRED!  It truly was time to get Jackson out of a toddler sized bed so he would get out of my bed.  And I say MY bed because he hogs MY SIDE!
A couple weeks ago my parents took us out looking for beds.  I have had my eye on one for about a year but we have never been able to get it.  Off we went, directly to the bed of my dreams.  Well, the salesman was so lame we didn't want to buy ANYTHING from him.  We left.
Across the street we found the exact same bed - wahoo.  They ordered it and we left knowing in a week we would be getting that gigantic kid out of my bed.
Later I find out that during the transaction, they were informed that the pull out bed, with the three drawers I couldn't wait to fill, would require a special mattress - a more expensive mattress.  Well, I got mattresses for free and I wasn't ready to be forking out $130 for a "special" mattress. 
I had to give up the drawers.  The extra storage this bed provided is the entire reason I feel in love with the bed - I ended the relationship immediately!
So, over the phone, we changed the order.  I have to stay, we, nor the kids, were disappointed when it arrived.
The babies helped me take apart the crib and J's old bed!  That night they were so excited to sleep in the bed.  We didn't have new bedding yet nor did we have the extra mattress.  So the boys slept together that night - and they slept real well!

My excitement for the bed had dwindled a bit for a number of reasons - Oh how I wanted those drawers, and wow that bed was extra large in that teeny bedroom and hello, bedding, where am I going to get new bedding. Ugh.
On top of this, there was an underlying frustration.  We are in limbo at the moment.  This is the first time in years we haven't had my check on which to rely.  And, with the nature of Andrew's company, we don't have a guaranteed pay-day.  So, we are adjusting.  Which is fine, it will work out, it's just not real predictable at the moment.  Which is not a great time for our lease to be expiring.  Hmmm, what to do what to do.  Do we move where we fit, do we settle and make it work - NOT SURE.  So, this bed issue for some reason added to my house size frustration.  I looked online again and again and still I can't find anything that will work out for us right now.
That night Andrew had basketball and so I was on kid duty.  Andi was struggling that night - which is weird because she and Ryan very easily go to bed on their own around 7:30pm.  But this night she was fighting.  So, I was sitting on the floor while holding her hand when Jackson came in to go to bed.  He crawled in bed and then jumped out, "oops, I forgot to say my prayers!".  So, down he went.  His prayer was simple but just what I needed.  He thanked God for:
a house so we don't have to sleep outside
a bed so we can be all cozy
blankets so we're not cold
clothes so we (I don't think he knew how to finish that one)
food so we're not hungry
the babies to play with
mommy and daddy
And so forth.... so yes, my son reminded me we have everything we need.  Duh, I knew this but you forget - or I do.  Or, you just want a little more NOW... instead of when the time is right.
I went to bed feeling better.
The next morning my in-laws came over to spend some time with the kids.  When my mother-in-law saw the bed, she offered to get the boys new bedding.  I felt bad at first and I was reluctant to go get bedding while she was out at the park with my kids.  But I also knew she wouldn't have offered if she didn't want.  So, I went - off to Target with a budget and a plan.  Holy cow it took me forever - so now like me.  I am a speedy shopper but this, this had me walking back and forth taking and returning - ahhh.
But I figured it out - Finally.  I was so eager to get out of there I paid, left, and got home to figure out she charged me for something I didn't buy.  Oops.  So my poor MIL had to go back and get her money back - yes, I'll check the receipt next time.
At this point, I just felt lame for getting so annoyed with the tiny little bedroom.  Seriously, how ungrateful can one person be??  And, once we saw how much the kids loved it all, I knew I can't be so lame ever again!

Well, I'll try.... Thanks all for the group effort!!

5 comments:

d said...

oh it is so cute. I love the bed and the bedding. Good choices!!!

Amber said...

I love that bedding. It's so adorable. And the bed is awesome too. What a sweet prayer Jackson said. Kids really are good at reminding us what's important in life, aren't they?

RachelAA said...

Gotta love Target!! And yes, the kids are MUCH better at it than we are - or than I am :)

Jamie said...

Rach, I love the bed! Your kids are adorable and so are you! I love how real you are! Your feelings are completely valid and financial troubles are hard! Just another trial in this life...why does life have to be so full of them!? But we are also SO blessed through it all!

jena wise said...

they look so happy!