Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 4 - Abuelos

MONDAY
I had a great day with Tristan at Ikea, Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme.  That afternoon I received sad, sad news.


When I first heard the news, I wanted to cry and yet I couldn't.  I felt odd knowing how awful this was and knowing how much my heart hurt, but I could produce not a single tear.  And then I went there.  I saw them.  I hugged them.  I left.  And I cried.  I couldn't stop.  I could not remove the image of Logan's face.  Jade huddled on the ground with Ty as they both sobbed.  Shook.  Trembled.  The police sat and looked over at me and I cried.  There was nothing else I could do.  I had to go home.


My second visit I avoided going inside.  Is that awful?  I couldn't handle it.  Too many memories rushed back.  Not of this family but of the pain within our own family nearly five years ago.  I struggled with what I needed at that time and wondering how I was to best serve this family now.  Coming from my position in their lives and from my own personal place.  The fact is, I still don't know what to do.  What to give.  Love, yes, I know.  But how?


I can't sleep.  Every night this week I stay up two to three hours past my bedtime just so I can pass out once in bed and not think.  I cleaned the garage and backyard at 10pm and then sat idly on the couch frying some brain cells.  You think about them, you talk about them, you hurt.  Is this because I am spiritually weak right now?  Is this because I have not dealt with the pain in our own life?  Is this because I think of our future and wonder 'what if'?  Surely each is a possibility.


So from here on out, I will aim to focus on God's plan.  We celebrate His hands in everything good, shouldn't we also celebrate His hands in everything sad.  Because truly, it's still his plan and there's still good laced amongst the heart break; right?


Dave DePrez... I never wanted to release him because he was a joy to have in Primary.  I can see him sitting there, smiling at those crazy boys all the while having his arm around his son.  They whisper back and forth and grin, but are never disrespectful.  I see him in the halls or at activities and his smile is there yet again.  He was kind.  I see Logan's eyes, swollen and red.  I see him pacing feeling lost and alone.  I hear Jade wondering who will baptize her next month.  I see Jade running over to Angie to curl up in a ball.  I see Ty, huddled and shaking.  I see Lisa, white, white and stunned.  My heart goes out to this family but I am amazed at their strength.


"Just lost my husband of 22 years yesterday. Our family is devastated and heartbroken but is continually receiving comfort from the Lord by the angels who walk this earth and without reserve offer their love and support and words of comfort. We feel greatly blessed because of this. We are an eternal family and know god has a plan for us. We will greatly miss our family's wonderful father and husband -We love you David Maurice DePrez!!"


TUESDAY
Swimming at the Wirthlin's knocked out Cole but inspired Andi's inner fashion designer.

Tuesday afternoon we hit up Staples for the Back 2 School goodies.  Jackson's inner writer was inspired to sit out in nature and begin his masterpiece.  Andi had nothing left in her.
WEDNESDAY
We scored at this week's movie when we were first, able to jump in line with Lauren and second, able to score the newly open theater with only three other families in there.  OH WAIT, we also scored because Andrew was home and was able to keep Cole.  Yes, best movie experience this Summer.
*Note the journals... you just never know.
Our fabulous movie experience was followed by an extraordinary swimming date!!
THURSDAY
Tuesday night my parents bought a new table for the kids.  With no shade in the back, this was quite refreshing to them all.  This inspired me to stay up close to midnight cleaning to back yard as well as the garage.  It was to the kids' great delight that their table was neatly displayed in the well groomed yard just right for "breakfast on the patio".  And no, no one left me a tip.
I got a last minute invite to the Aquatic Center and being free, we were able to pack up and head out the door about a half hour later.  We apparently have not been in a long time because last I remember, it only cost be $4 to get in... now... $15 :(

Jauna and Ito FINALLY came or a visit and everyone was so excited.  We got together that evening for a simple dinner.
FRIDAY
A teeny little cloud rained on the new table.  Bizarre!
The week was starting to wear down this crazy lady.  She made her bed and was prepared to lie in it.  Honestly, this is such a rare visual.
A child at boot camp took one of Jackson's birthday gifts and chucked it across the room.  It taught Jackson that things happen and you need to forgive.  But then the mom made her son earn money to replace the toy as best they could.  That then taught Jackson another lesson.  Always grateful for those proactive moms!
My grandpa missed my birth on account of a bowling game.  So it was only appropriate to have them accompany us on our first bowling experience.  I signed up for the "kids bowl free" shin-dig and this was the first time we were able to take advantage.  COLE LOVED IT!  He was immediately mesmerized.
It was so great having Ito, Juana, Bri and eventually grandpa grandpa there to help the kids, cheer on the kids, and experience with the kids.  

You get two free games and if Cole hadn't been there, I think the other three could have handled the second game.  Considering Cole's attention only lasted his first 7 or 8 turns, one game was plenty.  Lunch was calling our names.

Bowling kicked Cole's, Juana's and Ito's butt!
SATURDAY
Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar.....
SUNDAY
Symptoms:
Fever
Loss of Appetite
Sore Throat

Poor Cole began his cycle of Hand-Foot-Mouth... EWWW!  This was our first ever and I hope it to be our last.

5 comments:

fran said...

This loss has opened my eyes to so much as well. Dave was a kind person and will be missed. You are an amazing role model Rachel, I look up to you in so many ways and I'm very grateful to know you and your family.

Jenn said...

Geez... What a week! You are amazing. Swimming with me obviously wasn't exciting though! ;)

d said...

oh rach- I am so sorry for the loss. It just doesn't seem possible to understand a plan behind all of this.

d said...

oh rach- I am so sorry for the loss. It just doesn't seem possible to understand a plan behind all of this.

Mandi Snider said...

My heart goes out to your friends! I hate hearing stories like this, but there is a plan! And lady you just seem so busy! But it looks like fun of course.